Use this window to create and update different types of items that you sell and track.
- Set up your default or common information, in Maintain Item Defaults. This automates part of the process of setting up individual items you sell and saves you data entry time. For more information, click Set Up Inventory Item Defaults
- Set up the items themselves in Maintain Inventory items, choosing the correct Item Class.
- Finally, enter the beginning balances for your items (if applicable). These are the quantities of the items you have on hand when you first begin to use Sage 50. For more information, click Enter Beginning Balances.
For the most part, you set them up using the fields on the General tab of the Maintain Inventory Items window. But the additional tabs in the window—Bill of Materials, Item Attributes, and Serial Numbers—let you set up special item types such as assembly, master stock, substock, and serialized items. For more information, click a link below.
- Return to Maintain Inventory and select the item you want to update.
- Make the changes that you want. Note that some fields cannot be accessed or changed once you have entered transactions with this item (for instance, Item Class and Item Cost).
- Click Save.
Use the Beginning Balances button on the General tab in Maintain Inventory items. In beginning balances, you can select an item and enter how many of the item you have on hand when you first start using Sage 50, as well as the how much the items cost you to purchase. For more information, click Enter Beginning Balances.
Tracking inventory in Sage 50 is basically a three-step process:
- Enter item information, including Sales account, Inventory account, and Cost of Sales account.
- Use item codes when entering purchases and sales. Sage 50 computes and tracks costs and quantities on a daily basis, based on transaction date and item class.
- Enter adjustments, if necessary, through the Inventory Adjustments Task.
Sage 50 does the rest, adjusting inventory levels each time you post a purchase or sale of an inventory item. In addition, the program will track the cost of each item on a daily basis, based on the transaction date and item class.
Sage 50 offers a number of ways to determine the quantity of items you have in stock. There is no need to run out of an item before ordering again!