There are two steps to creating an assembly item: 1) define the items (components) the assembly contains, and 2) build the assembly. Additionally, you can purchase prebuilt "assemblies."
To set up and define an assembly item
- Click the Assemblies navigation aid on the Inventory & Services Navigation Center and select Set Up Items for Assembly.
Enter an item ID and description for the assembly item, and select Assembly as the item class.
- Enter any other information about the assembly item. You can use the Setup Advisor located on the right-hand side of the screen to guide you.
- After you finish filling out the item information, select the Bill of Materials tab. Don't click Save; saving the item at this point will cause it to become a stock item instead of an assembly item.
- Select item IDs for existing stock items or assemblies only, and enter the quantity. Press ENTER. Do this for each item that makes up the assembly.
- When you're finished entering the assembly item, click Save.